Learn to Dive | Open Water Diver Course
Scuba diving allows us to explore new worlds and experience places in a way that only a few people have experienced before. 70% of the world is water; that is a lot of ocean for a certified diver to explore! There is so much to see underneath the surface that so few people know about. Coral reefs, mangroves, open oceans, rivers, lakes – the list goes on… The potential to meet our earths largest, smallest, weirdest and cutest creatures awaits! Take the plunge and start your adventure.
- For total beginners, no experience required.
- Internationally recognised.
- Get certified to dive to 18 metres anywhere in the world!
- Small group sizes.
- Online learning so you can study at your own pace and maximise your time with your instructor.
- All required equipment is supplied.
- Pool training is in a heated pool.
- Towels and hot showers are available at our centre.
What to Expect
There are three key components to Learning to Dive on your Open Water Diver training. These components are the theory or academics, confined water training in the pool and open water training dives in the ocean. After you have completed and mastered each of these components you will become certified as an Open Water Diver and can dive to 18 metres anywhere in the world!
- Before You Start - Academics: The academics consists of online learning and a multiple choice exam. You will be registered with our training agency once we receive payment and login details will be sent to the email address you have provided. As the theory is online you can learn at your own pace. The theory is designed to be understandable for everyone; young, old and everyone in between. If you have any questions, please call us and we can help. The multiple choice exam will be given to you on Day 1 of your course before going to the pool.
- Day 1 - Confined Water Training: The confined training will take place in the pool. We have dive buses that will transport students and equipment to and from the pool. The time in the bus is another great opportunity to discuss diving with your instructor and to get to know your new dive buddies. Once at the pool you will complete a watermanship test (200 metre swim in any style and a 10 minute float), learn how to set up your equipment and all skills required to become safe open water divers. By the end of confined water training you would have mastered all skills, be confident and ready to go ocean diving!
- Day 2 & 3 - Open Water Training: The open water training is conducted in the ocean. By now you have already mastered the skills and we are going for 4 easy dives at our local dive sites to look for turtles and other beautiful marine life. This way you get to apply your newly mastered dive skills in to real life diving. You will do two dives on each day and after the completion of this component you will become certified as an Open Water Diver!
- You must be 10 years old. For anyone under the age of 18 we need consent from a parent of guardian.
- You must be able to swim 200m without stopping. There is no time limit and you can swim in any stroke or style you want.
- You must be able to float or tread water for 10 minutes without stopping or holding on.
- All participants must complete a medical declaration form prior to this course. If any of the questions are flagged as "Yes" you may need to gain medical clearance from a doctor prior to participating.
- If you are over the age of 45 or if you have a body mass index of more than 30 and a waist circumference of more than 102cm for males or 88cm for females you are required to get a medical from a doctor to say your are fit for diving. If this applies to you please contact reception to discuss this firstname.lastname@example.org
This is in keeping with Queensland Codes of Practice.